Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Q-"Why did Paul confront Peter in Galatians? What do you think Christians and/or churches can learn from this event"?

Galatians 2:11-13  "11 But when Peter came to Antioch, I had to oppose him to his face, for what he did was very wrong.12 When he first arrived, he ate with the Gentile Christians, who were not circumcised. But afterward, when some friends of James came, Peter wouldn't eat with the Gentiles anymore. He was afraid of criticism from these people who insisted on the necessity of circumcision. 13 As a result, other Jewish Christians followed Peter’s hypocrisy, and even Barnabas was led astray by their hypocrisy".

The Bible speaks time and time again against hypocrisy (Psalm 26:4, Isaiah 9:17, Matthew 7:5). Why? Because hypocrisy is a matter of character, and we are all charged to be men and women of character. "Character strengthens our confident hope of salvation" Romans 5:4

Not only does it show bad character, but it shows cowardice. Now I'm not in any way saying that I am above things like hypocrisy, I am only a human, telling it how it is. It is a cowardly thing not to eat with and minister to the people you are charged with reaching for the sake of what your friends will think of you. Not was Peter being false with his friends, he was neglecting the Gentiles.

As Christians, we are called to treat all people with love, and respect. We cannot do this if we are ashamed to be seen with anyone deemed unworthy.

I almost can't help but recall the movie 'mean girls' in which Lindsey Lohans character leaves her "less than popular" friends to be with the cool girls and ends up ruining everything good she had in the pursuit of acceptance.

When we stop seeking the approval of the world, and start accepting the our identities in God, that's when we can truly fulfill our purposes in God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment